[Alberg30] ballast / trim

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 11:33:39 PST 2001

sail_505 at hotmail.com writes:

> Actually, and seriously for a moment, which doesn't seem to be part of
>  today's discussion, one way to help the trim on the boat is to start moving
>  stuff behind the center of resistance forward and lower. Keeping the
>  lazarette empty is one good way, also for those that have the gas tank
>  mounted behind the engine under the cockpit sole, replace it and move it
>  forward. I placed mine in the starboard sail locker as far forward as
>  possible to counter balance the ice box and get the weight out from behind
>  the engine. When choosing a replacement engine, look to reduce the weight,
>  an Atomic 4 weighs about 310 lbs and my replacement diesel trimmed about 60
>  lbs from that. I think the boats have become stern heavy due to water
>  absorption in the hull and there isn't much we can do about.
Yeah.I've done a lot of thinking about this, (thus my plan for splitting
water and diesl under the main bunks), but the truth is, there is a cause and
effect chain, with everything affecting everything else, and not a lot is
possible without a gut renovation and extreme customization. At that point
one tends to say:"Get a different boat". And that'sa reality we Albergers
don't want to face. Thus the proliferation of extreme fantasization.
Paul
#23 Ashwagh
 | Get a FREE knotmeter at http://www.alberg30.org/store/ |