[Alberg30] Potato Cannons (was: Ballast)

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 21:15:32 PST 2001

gdinwiddie at min.net writes:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=potato+cannon+plans and take your
>  pick.  We've got a piece of 8" PVC pipe about 8' long (left over
>  from making a storage container for the Sunfish rig).  Gail's
>  been threatening Charlie Grosh for years that we're going to
>  make a potato cannon with it.  I bet we can shoot a whole
>  50-pound sack!  Or watermelons, pumpkins, small children....
>
>   - George
I must say I'm thrilled to see such enthusiasm by Mike and others for what
seems to be shaping up as a guerilla war with jet-skiers And I'm sure W. C.
Fields would have heartily approved of your small children idea, George.
But I was thinking more along the lines of something 'entre nous' which would
emulate the action of the old square riggers and would involve some close
quarters sailing skill. You recall the trick in those days was to cross the
bow of the enemy ship (where it could bring no guns to bear) and rake it with
sequential fire so as to dismast it, then board and take it as a prize. In
our case, the ammunition would be a partially boiled potato with a washable
paint capsule inside which would mark the enemy with the attacker's unique
color. If you sustained a hit at the base of the mast, you are 'dismasted'
and out. So many hits near or under the waterline and you are sunk or unable
to tack. A hit near the propane tanks (everyone submits schematics ala Jane's
to the Commodore) and well... you get the picture.If you attempt to board,
you may be repelled or even overtaken by the target crew. All ships 'taken'
must be 'bought back' by their respective crews in beer kegs, fresh lobster
and corn on-the-cob at the post battle shindig.
Ideas/Suggestions?
Paul
#23 Ashwagh
 | Get a FREE knotmeter at http://www.alberg30.org/store/ |