[Alberg30] Self Steering System

Rick Leach RLeach at mbayaq.org
Thu Mar 22 19:20:28 PST 2001

I bought and installed a Cap Horn in Sugar Magnolia this past year.  I can
only say that it has changed the nature of sailing.  When I have it engaged
I no longer spend all of my time in the cockpit, hand on the tiller, eyes on
the sails.  It takes a few moments to get everything balanced just so, and
then I'm free to roam around, trim the sails, take some bearings, make some
tea, whatever, all the while Yves little invention is steering a better
course than I could ever hope to.  The design is elegant, the visual
presence is minimal, the workmanship is art.  Keep in mind that he developed
the prototype on his Alberg 30, a better match would be hard to imagine.
The price compared to some of the other Rube Goldbergian contraptions is
favorable, if he's offering a "huge" discount, I'd say jump on it.  While
you're at it, order the video, "Around the World with Jean du Sud".  It's a
great film of his adventurous circumnavigation.  One viewing convinced me of
two things: our little boats are tough, tough, tough; and Yves Gelinas may
be small in stature, but he's a giant in my book.

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121