[Alberg30] Fresh water cooling

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sat Mar 24 17:41:12 PST 2001

Hi Jim,
   A fresh water rinse is better than just salt water. Fresh water cooling is really the way to protect your engine. Moyer also sells a kit which mounts slightly differently, so there are 2 "kit" options.
  My engine has lived it's entire life in salt water (1972 vintage). I bought this boat about 5 1/2 years ago and about 4 years ago decided to open it up over the winter for a major routine cleanout. I also needed to replace the manifold due to a pinhole leak. I did it all by the Moyer Newsletter Method (before there was a Moyer Manual). I can't say much about the condition of the manifold since I discarded it for new. The engine itself was loaded with crud which I was able to clean out using various tools, wires and solvents. My head and manifold studs were at the Moyer minimum as far as uncorroded thread length is concerned. (Yes, I replaced ALL of them also) Other than that, the engine was in excellent shape. After putting it all back together and adjusting everything there is to adjust, it started up and has been running like a top ever since. I've been contemplating installing Moyer's fresh water cooling kit ever since (still contemplating).
    Once a year, I run enough automotive radiator cleaner to fill the engine into it and let it sit for 1/2 hour or so before flushing and running saltwater again. This year, I may use vinegar instead. At the end of each season, I fresh water flush (using the water from my water tank, killing two birds with one stone) as a part of winterization. At the beginning of this winter, I removed the thermostat (routine cleaning) for the first time since the major clean-out. It was a little dirty, but not bad at all.
     To sum up this topic, Fresh water cooling is THE WAY to go, but if not, it just takes more maintenance.

Next topic:  Groco's T fitting.       I agree with you. I don't trust it. I do know several people that have them and all but one have had no problems with the fitting. The one who had the problem is the type of person who shouldn't be doing anything mechanical anyway! He claimed it was the fittings fault, but I doubt it. Luckily, it wasn't catastrophic.
      I was able to find everything I needed at West Marine to make up a sort of manifold to do the same thing at less cost than Groco's fitting. I used a hose from the thru hull valve to a hose nipple into an elbow to a pipe nipple to a T to a pipe nipple to an elbow to a hose nipple to a hose that goes to the water pump intake. From the T to a pipe nipple to a Gate valve to a hose nipple. Hose stays removed unless being used. (Yes, I said GATE valve. It's used twice a year and the handle is easily removed so it doesn't interfere with anything). This allows me to shut the thru hull, open the flush valve, run the engine with liquid in a bucket on the cabin sole, and reverse the valves to run seawater again faster than I could type it out. It's also easier to connect the fresh water hose since it's right in front of the flywheel not down at the thru hull. I've got the manifold strapped down to the starboard engine room bulkhead. It's a pretty neat installation.
     Oh By The Way, if you install a fresh water cooling kit, shouldn't you be flushing the heat exchanger's salt water side anyway?

Regards and Good Luck, (sorry about rambling on---Cabin Fever still)
Brian       Free Spirit     A30  #497