[Alberg30] Hatch and Lazarette

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Sun Mar 25 10:47:24 PST 2001

>Chris,
>
>Hmmm...  according to your hull number, you've got the fiberglass
>hatches, right?  Those are pretty rugged.  Why do they need
>replacing?
>
> - George (also in Pasadena)

I have #397 and the forward hatch is a teak frame with a plastic top. The
plastic was plexiglas, I think, which I changed to lexon. The lazerette
hatch was laminated teak which, everytime it wore through to the next layer
of glue, I sanded down to  the next layer of good teak.  I probably went
through 4 layers of teak and finally replaced the laminated teak top with
solid teak strips about 3  inches wide and used several more of these
strips to back up the top strips (underneath, running across the top
strips).

Bob Johns, A30  #397

 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |