[Alberg30] DECK BEAM REPAIR

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 13:48:15 PST 2001

Hi Mike,
    Beautiful repair and thanks for taking the trouble to post the picture.
    I was wondering: could I put the brace on the other side of the bulkhead
in the forward cabin or is that too far forward to provide support? The
reason is this is really a preventive measure on a beautifully laminated
wooden brace that doesn't show much deflection at all. I don't think the boat
was raced much because there isn't that much of an Alberg presence up here in
NY. I just didn't want to obscure the lamination if I could avoid it. But if
the sister brace won't do its job forward then I guess I have to.
    What do you think?
Paul Cicchetti
#23 Ashwagh

In a message dated 3/26/01 8:17:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sail_505 at hotmail.com writes:

> Subj:  Re: [Alberg30] DECK  BEAM  REPAIR
>  Date:    3/26/01 8:17:33 AM Eastern Standard Time
>  From:    sail_505 at hotmail.com (Mike Lehman)
>  Sender:  public-list-admin at alberg30.org
>  To:  public-list at alberg30.org (Alberg Public List)
>
>  File:  1 Port Aft.JPG (5781 bytes)
>  DL Time (28800 bps): < 1 minute
>

>  --------------------
>  Tony Fortnam (Valency #272) purchased 3/8" Aluminum plates from Washington
> Aluminum Co. In Baltimore (410) 242-1000 ext 301 ask for Kirk. The plates
are
> made from 6061 grade aluminum and are cut using a computerized water jet
> cutting process and therefore a very even cut. I installed them, and found
> that I had to do some "final fit" like rounding edges and corners. This was
> done easily with a 3" belt sander. The finished job give the appearance
that
> this was an original part of the boat instead of an aftermarket repair. See
> attached photo.
>
>  Mike Lehman
>  840 Mill Creek Road
>  Arnold, MD 21012
>  (410) 544-9067 (Home)
>  (443) 253-7054 (Mobile)
>
>  sail_505 at hotmail.com
 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |