[Alberg30] Fresh water cooling

Gregg Rennie grennie at pipeline.com
Tue Mar 27 19:35:18 PST 2001

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Most people, myself included, are running raw water cooling.  I
> plan to change to fresh water cooling with the engine I'm tearing
> apart in the basement.  I've looked around a bit at fresh water
> cooling kits and the two best alternatives seem to be Don Moyer's
> (www.moyermarine.com) and Indigo electronics (www.atomic4.com).
> I've not made a choice between them, yet.
>
>  - George
>
> > Miabarchet at aol.com said:
> >

> > --part1_a7.cd8c102.27efcbf2_boundary
> >
> > George and Brian,
> >
> > Thanks for your input. George, I looked through my archives of letters about
> > fresh water cooling but all I found where the questions and not many answers.
> > Do you know if many albergers on the Chesapeake have installed cooling
> > systems and which type are preferred?
> > Thank again,
> > Jim Allocco
> > Barchetta Mia #565
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/
I installed the Indigo system a couple years ago when I rebuilt my A4
and am very happy with it and fresh water colling.  The engine runs
hotter (like a gas engine should) and runs much better.  The major
difference between the systems is that the Moyer system has a pulley and
belt on the front of the flywheel, which I felt would be inconvenient
and possibly dangerous (since I work in that area often).  The Indigo
system takes its drive from the side of the engine and puts all drive
belts out of the way.  The only problem I had with the Indigo system is
that the old tach drive had to be removed to install the mounting plate
and the kit did not include a plug!  I had to fashion a new one.  The
other item to consider would be that the Moyer system might be much
easier to install with the engine in the boat.  I installed it with the
engine in my garage.

I might also add that I installed a pointless ignition system and
between the engine running hotter due to the colling system and the new
ignition, the A4 runs EXCELLENT, even after all thes years.

Yankee Star #296
 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |