[Alberg30] holes in the keel

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 17:50:06 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/28/01 12:44:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
george at kwequipment.com writes:

> while scrubbing and rubbing in the bilge for two days  i have found what
>  looks like a red wood 2x6 on  edge set in what looks concrete one end
wedged
>  to a unknown member aft  and a cast block fwd..     two questions!  is this
>  as built ? and also i have seen posts about keel drain plugs was this in
>  early or late  boats     as i am thinking  about  drilling a hole in the
>  keel  (under side)  to find out  how much  water is trapped  there.  George
>  from Mich.   # 259
Yes, it is as built. That piece of wood was used to properly position the
pig-iron ballast when it was lowered into the boat. If you do drill from the
outside around the ballast, you will find that the whole iron ballast is
bedded in about 1/2 inch of cement and from the opening up of that rear
section where the wood was, the cement is no doubt full of water. Even
Thoroseal has some porosity. I have no magic solution. You might try leaving
a gallon or so of alchohol in the bilge covering the rear of the ballast.
Since alchohol is hydorscoppic, it should draw out the water and dry up the
cement before you seal it off forever with West or Caulktex. Then you can
pursue your drain hole in the rear where the bilge is lowest so the boat can
stay dry in storage.
Paul
#23 Ashwagh
 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |