[Alberg30] Lazy Jacks

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 29 18:43:09 PST 2001

Guy Lalonde asked:
>I'm also considering installing a sail handling system. Any opinions out
>there on lazy jacks, EZ Jax or the Dutchman ?
>
>My understanding is that the EZ Jax would be like lazy jacks except one
>can raise or lower the system. Lowered when you want to raise the sail so
>the battens don't get caught up in the system. Raised when you want to
>take the sail down to catch it.
>
>Whereas the Dutchman has vertical lines running down from the topping lift
>to the boom. The lines run through a set of grommets (in the sail) that
>line up with the lines. Supposedly when you drop the sail, it folds up
>real nicely.

The Dutchman system came when I bought my boat and I've been very happy
with it. I also have full battens so the sail does indeed flake neatly and
raise easily. It's complicated to rig in the Spring but no problem in use
during the season. You do need to have your sail cover resewn with zippers
where the two verticals attach to the boom. A pleasure to sail single handed.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |