[Alberg30] Hatch and Lazarette

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Fri Mar 30 15:35:40 PST 2001

Christos Katehis wrote:

> Hi, wondering if anyone has replaced the forward Hatch and the
> Lazarette Cover? and with what? Appreciate the information.
>
> Chris Katehis
> #383 Pasadena MD

Chris:About two months ago I replaced the forward hatch on my boat.It
had wood frame"teak"?covered with lexan or some other plastic
material.tHE COUNTER SUNK SCREWS filled with putty and a crack looked
ugly and had a constant leak in v berth area.This is what I did.I Used
the old frame as templates for new frame and covered top with 1" thick
wood .The whole unit is of spanish cedar,available anywhere,and now with
three coats of cetol m and left out in sun it has darkened to just about
the same color as teak with same coating.I sunk all stainless screws and
put in teak plugs sanded and finished,Hey in the shipyard where I work
we have a saying for a job not perfectly done"do you think anyone is
gonna notice that imperfection in ten foot seas!Will send photo of hatch
soon,
     #191                Galliano,La.           Dick
 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |