[Alberg30] Potato cannon

Horton, Ross G. rhorton at pwcgov.org
Wed Mar 7 06:57:39 PST 2001

	If the Alberg fleet is going to become armed with potato cannon, a
decision must be made whether the cannon must conform to "class standards"
in order to preserve our "one design" class status.  We could then have
standards as to length and composition of the tube, the amount and type of
propellant, the size and weight of the spud, whether the tube must be
mounted on a traditional cannon carriage or on a "slide" like a carronade.
If a class standard is developed, the competition should be based at least
in part on accuracy, or maybe rate of fire.  On the other hand, if the spud
gun is to be a "development" item then range takes over as a primary
criteria.
	While jet skiers are certainly a worthy target, we should not forget
other one design fleets.  I know of a couple of Pearson 30's that ought to
be subjected to a barrage.  Think of the fun at the starting line.
Unfortunately, both the "authorities" and the race committee might have
something to say about that. Jack Aubrey eat your heart out.
	I think that anyone with plans should post them on the A-30 site
rather than just attach them to a message since some of us have to deal with
firewalls that clean attachments off messages as a matter of routine.

Ross Horton
Delphi #40

 | Get a FREE knotmeter at http://www.alberg30.org/store/ |