[Alberg30] RE: Looking for a Marina to call Home

Horton, Ross G. rhorton at pwcgov.org
Tue May 1 07:05:21 PDT 2001

Richard:
	The logical place is the Marine Corps facility at Quantico.  The
river is fairly wide there and the sailing is not bad.  The marina is
operated by MCCS. There is a waiting list, but if you are active duty within
35 miles of Quantico you would be the second priority.  (Active duty on post
is first.)  The marina does have some live aboards but I have heard a rumor
that there is a move afoot to discourage the practice.  You should check
with the harbor master.  Quantico has an active yacht club that sponsors
social events and some sailboat racing.  There are also 3 Alberg 30s at
Quantico, including ours.

	The marina at FT. Belvoir is too shallow at anything other than high
tide.  It is possible to get an Alberg in to get hauled in the winter but
its an adventure.

	Another possibility is Aquia Bay Marina located in the mouth of
Aquia Creek about 8 miles down river from Quantico.  There used to be an
Alberg in there.  I do not know their policy on live aboards.

	There are marina facilites operated by the City of Alexandria but
they are expensive.  I don't know their policy on live aboards.  The river
is narrow up there and  any real sailing would have to be done well to the
south.

	I've not mentioned anything on the Maryland side since I assume you
actually do want to be able to get to work and not have to cross the Wilson
Bridge.

Ross Horton
Delphi, #40

> I am new in the DC area and will be working in the Pentagon-Crystal City
> Area.  Two specific interest for now:
> 1. Find a live aboard marina that balances ease of work commute with
> pleasure of sailing.
> 2. Find a marina that can receive boat via ground transportation and
install
> some improvement rigging (Headsail Roller Furl, etc.).  Ideal if #1 and #2
> are same or close.
> I am eager to hear back from anyone and looking forward to joining the
> Alberg association as Sun Spur #245 departs York River YC and changes
> skippers from father to son.
> Thank you.
> Richard D. Hansen, Jr.
> WK:  703-604-7209
> Cell:  973-452-4081

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |