[Alberg30] Electronic Mapping

greg vandenberg fashionguy at ameritech.net
Fri May 11 07:26:47 PDT 2001

To the Group:

I have a (few) question for the group regarding maps for GPS /
Chartplotters. I can not seam to find a store that can let me compare
map styles. They might have one
and not the other and there seams to be numerous sizes so one won't fit
in the other ect ect ect. Any opinions from the group on which
manufacture offers the best
presentation of information (map detail ect.)? Also is there now any
reason that GPS with  differential is better than not and is WAAS going
to make more than a few
feet of difference. I am leaning toward a Raytheon unit model # 425 w/
WAAS which accepts Navionics micro-charts. BUT  I can have a good deal
on an older model #420 which is
GPS/ Chartplotter only (no D & no WAAS). AND... O' yes the cost of the
chips is $200 plus. And do you believe they  split Lake Michigan into
two
maps... Ugh!

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |