[Alberg30] Bilge pump?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Mon May 21 17:14:44 PDT 2001

    Well, after last week's rain I see that it's time to install an electric
bilge pump.  Sheesh.  I'm considering a Rule 2000 or 3700.  Recommendations
on either of those?  The smaller one's less expensive, but I don't
necessarily want to cut corners on this particular project.

    A bigger question is where should it drain to?  Do people run it in a
high loop to the scuppers drains? (No, I would guess.)  Oversides amidships
just below the gunnels?  I understand it should come out well above the
water line, and the manual pump (a Whale in the std. lazarette) dumps out
std. sort of  above the exhaust port aft.

    Took our first sail in this vessel, under about a 100% jib (main is
coming next week).  A great day-- sunny, a bit breezy, and Mt. Rainier
majestically benevolent to the east.  Quite beautiful.  It was a good day to
begin tuning the mast.... remembered the member describing the widely
varying shroud/stay tensions he  found, so I figure I can't go too wrong.
Procedural it's just like tuning the Lightning, but with a little heavier
hardware.

    Cheers,

Randy Katz
Gr. 3
Bertschi School
2227 - 10th Ave E.
Seattle, WA. 98102
USA
206-324-5476 X301

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |