[Alberg30] Atomic4 RPM's

T. Kevin Blanc tkevinblanc at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 10:08:36 PDT 2001

That's typical, and probably fine, but that's not what
the experts would tell you is right. The engine makes
about %160 percent more horsepower and torque at about
2200 RPM (if I remember the graph right) but it's
tough to get the right prop to do that and still have
some bite at lower RPMs. Cruising Designs has a Atomic
4 variable pitch prop that probably won't work well on
an Alberg (too much dead wood and, perhaps, physical
interference with the rudder when its hard over). A
three blade prop is probably the answer (and will run
smoother to boot), but most folks don't like the idea
of extra drag.

Just about everyone sticks with a two blade 13x7 as
originally supplied. If you don't mind the idea of a
three-blade, Indigo makes one specifically for the A4.
There's a Canadian company called, I think, Campbell,
that makes three blade sailboat props, too.

--- Christos Katehis <kriskate at worldnet.att.net>
wrote:
> Does 1500 rpms sound right on full load?
> In nuetral she goes wild......... Boat does 5-6
> knots @1500 RPM
>
> Chris

>  |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting
> needs.      |

http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |