[Alberg30] Tables and Voltmeters?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Fri May 18 09:01:35 PDT 2001

Randy,

I'm not an electrical engineer either (though I used to design
electronics for a living), but I can offer an opinion.  I find
that I don't need the same level of accuracy on the boat that
I did when working on electronic equipment.  I also figure that
everything breaks eventually and expensive equipment on a boat
is more likely to break.  So, I opted to get a REALLY CHEAP
multimeter for the boat and consider it disposable.

Harbor Freight has just the ticket.  See
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41738
for a $7 digital multimeter.  The current ranges are too low to be
worth anything, but it's fine for measuring 12VDC circuits, 110VAC
circuites and for checking for continuity or high resistance in
wiring.  Sometimes it goes on sale for half price, though it's
hardly worth ordering that little from Harbor Freight.

Harbor Freight is a good place to get cheap stuff.  Just don't
expect quality.  And if it doesn't specifically mention something
in the description, assume it's not there.  They're also a bit
slow in getting stuff to you, sometimes.  I also get stuff like
(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37051)
nitrile gloves for doing glass work.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |