[Alberg30] two wire and a light bulb.

Brian Zinser BZinser at NMU.EDU
Fri May 18 13:03:47 PDT 2001

Last summer while motoring off AuSable Pt. near Grand Marais, MI I ran out
of fuel.  After I refueled from my Gerry can, I turned the key and hit the
starter, only to find my number 1 battery completely dead.  I thought that
my amp gauge was indicating a charge, but must admit, I don't watch it that
close after I start the engine.  Never-the-less, I switched to the second
battery and started the engine and proceeded the last 8-10 miles into Grand
Marais harbor.  Grand Marais is a beautiful harbor, but like in most of
these parts, there are no services.  In fact, there is no auto repair shop
in Grand Marais.  Luckily, I was able to borrow a car and drive 25 miles to
a Mennonite-run auto repair shop in Seney, MI.  For those of you who have
ever crossed the Upper Peninsula (for you Canadians, it is the primary
trans-Canada route) know that Seney is in the middle of the "Seney stretch".
A flat straight 40 mile stretch of two lane road through a swamp.

The mechanic was too busy to drive the 25 miles to my boat, so he sold me a
voltage meter and gave me a quick lesson in alternator diagnostics.  He told
me to make sure I tested the tension on the belt first before I removed the
alternator.  Yes, he was right.  Even though the belt appeared to be turning
at a high rate of speed, there was enough slippage that it was not turning
at a high enough RPM to generate output from the alternator.  Loosened the
bolt and used an old hammer handle for leverage to tighten the arm.  Tighten
the bolt and instantly, both amp gauge and voltage meter indicated charge.

Lessons learned.  I know carry the voltage meter on my boat and I will never
run with the battery switch switched to both batteries.

Brian Zinser
Manana #134