[Alberg30] bow pulpit

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Sat May 19 12:41:58 PDT 2001

>Bob,
>
>What are you going to do with the old bow pulpit.  I would be interested in
>it.
>
>John Bailey
>"Zevulun" #33

John,

The reason that I am changing the pulpit is that it got hit, apparently
when the boat was on the mooring. The two aft castings that fasten it to
the deck were bent upward and one was partially broken. I found new
castings at West that fit and that seemed to have the proper angle but I
could not install them because the tubing was so bent out of shape. In
order  to reshape the tubing it would take a bending tool of some sort and,
I think, a lot of skill to get the various pieces shaped properly.

As I indicated, the original pulpit was put together with castings that
used set screws to hold the tubing together. I was able to loosen some of
the set screws but I  think that some of them are corroded in place. (At
least I know that some of my stanchions have frozen set screws and the
tubing is not tight in the castings, and I think that is true of some of
the pulpit parts also.)  I didn't like the idea of having a pulpit that has
pieces of tubing that might loosen up because I sometimes fasten halyards
to it and it just doesn't seem safe.

Have to go now. Email me off-list if you want any more details.

Regards.
	Bob Johns, Wind Call, #397

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |