[Alberg30] Atomic-4: Alternator rebuild; Facit fuel pump problem

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Sat May 19 19:33:18 PDT 2001

Christos Katehis wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I checked my voltage before starting engine it was 12 something,
> started the motor it was the same. I presume the alternator needs
> to be rebuilt.

Assuming that you've made sure that the belt is tight, and not "glazed"
(very shiny and hard on the inside from slipping for a long time), and
that all the wiring is intact, you probably do need a rebuild. Most
"auto electric" shops can do it, and they test and often want you to
replace the voltage regulator at the same time. Look in the yellow
pages, or call a local auto parts store to find such a shop. They will
test it for you before they tear into it... I had my Prestolite
alternator rebuilt about 4 years ago for half the cost of a new one, but
it was still about $100 if my recollection is right.

Separately, I've done a lot of work on my A-4 in the past year, but it
-still- has the problem of stopping unpredictably and usually starting
OK 5-10 minutes later. I -finally- was able to observe this failure in
the dock, and determine that the fuel pump was not running even though
it had power. I called Don Moyer, and he told me that 2-3 years ago
(when I got my pump), these pumps had a -known- defect that would make
them stop, and, in his words "you could tap on it with a screwdriver and
it would start again." He said he stopped using them for a year or so,
but since they fixed their QC he uses them again now. He prefers them
because apparently they were the original equipment pump. Got the new
pump, and I'm hopeful that this will be the end of this annoying
problem.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |