[Alberg30] terms

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Fri May 25 02:33:38 PDT 2001

Dan,
   I whole heartedly agree with George's comments re: the condition of the
main. I have just gone through very similar experiences. When I bought my
boat, she came with two mains. The P.O. told me to use "this" one since the
other one was very old. "This" one turned out to be an old Tartan 27 main
and the old one was the original A30 main. "This" one was in bad shape also
so I discarded it and had the A30 main reconditioned by Sail Care in Pa. who
uses a process that reresins the fabric. I didn't want to buy a new one
right away because there was LOTS of other things that needed re&re and my
money. I also had to buy a new 135% genny since the P.O. only had a 170% set
up to work on the furler and I moved the boat to a place with wind and
needed something smaller.
   I sailed for several years with that combination of sails. It was common
to bury the rail when on the wind and both my wife and I were getting
annoyed at having to reef so much earlier than everyone else in the area. We
started to race with our club and were always way back in the fleet except
for one day. That day was real light wind and we were doing so well that we
were accused of using our Engine!! That was the straw that broke the camel"s
back. I ordered a new "crusing" CM2+2 main from UK in Annapolis (ordered at
THE show).
    Last season we sailed with the new main. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I was
truly amazed. The boat stood up to the wind better, pointed higher and
balanced better. Now, the rail only goes in the water when I MAKE it go in
the water. When it comes to speed and racing, one of the speedy boats'
skippers suggested that my wife and I should crew with a friend on his
Hunter 28 "since then we'd at least have a chance of doing well". That was
before the first race. Every race we entered last year, we were one of the
first three to finish. We're counting from the front of the fleet now
instead of from the back. In one race, that Hunter 28 skipper crewed with us
and that time we came in ahead of that speedy boat that made that comment.
(By the way, the Hunter 28 is NOT a fast boat).
    The benefits of a new sail vs. an older (blown out or streched) sail are
truly amazing and will change the sailing characteristics of the boat.
   As a side light, before I got a computer, I snail mailed to George asking
about the sailing characteristics of the A30, especially in regards to "the
best angle of heel". His gracious return mail included the comment "keep the
cockpit coming out of the water". Now, I fully understand that comment.
Thanks again George.
Regards,   Brian    A30 #497  Free Spirit