[Alberg30] Autopilots?

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri May 25 06:01:49 PDT 2001

Randy - I use a Navico TP100 and it's great. The thing I like most about it
is that it is completely quiet. My old [very old] Autohelm 2000 would make
so much noise that you could barely hear yourself think. I don't think that
was characteristic of all Autohelms, but it sure was of mine. I sent it
Raytheon in NH to be repaired, and the estimate was $512, that's when I
trashed it and bought the Navico. I've always considered an autopilot to be
an important safety device. When sailing short handed, as we all do, it's
important to be available to tend to other chores, while the auto pilot
steers a steady course.