[Alberg30] Autopilots?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Fri May 25 17:58:16 PDT 2001

Randy,

I've got the Navico 200 (now the Simrad 20) and like it a lot.
The response is a little slow, but I think I just need to get
out the manual and change some settings.  You can change all
sorts of things from the defaults with some magic sequences
of button pushes, but I never have the manual handy when I'm
sailing and I don't think of it when I'm not.  (Just like I
don't want to go out in the rain to patch the roof and when
it's not raining, it doesn't leak.)

I used to have an Autohelm 1000, which was mostly satisfactory
though noiser and more power-hungry than the Navico.  The worst
thing about it, IMHO, was Autohelm's attitude toward their
customers.  I managed to break off the pin that holds the unit,
though.  The only thing that was broken was a small plastic
piece that holds the pin to the body of the case.  Autohelm USA
told me that that little piece wasn't available separately and
offered to sell me a complete plastic case for $285.  At the
time, the normal discounte selling price of a new unit was less
than $350.  I jury-rigged a repair, but when the unit finally
died, I was not about to buy another Autohelm.  That's the
primary reason I switched to the Navico.

 - George

Randy Katz wrote:

>     Can anyone suggest a tiller auotpilot?  I'm aware of the Autohelm 2000
> and the Sim Rad TP 20, both of which sound about right for the A30-- anybody
> have one of those?

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |