[Alberg30] Exhaust Pipe

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sat May 26 14:21:16 PDT 2001

Chris,

The exhaust pipe is generally black iron, though you can use bronze
pipe and some older systems are made of copper.  As others have said,
the bridgedeck location is not ideal for a compass.  You can compensate
for the iron in the engine and exhaust, but you'll still need a
different deviation table when the engine's running, due to the
magnetic field of the electric currents.

Many people have mounted compasses in the bulkheads.  Some have mounted
the compass on the companionway slides.  Our compass is mounted on a
board that slides into the companionway like a hatch board.  It's a
bit of a nuisance to step over and you have to store it somewhere,
but it's a pretty simple solution.

 - George

Christos Katehis wrote:

> Almost Exhausted in searching for the magnetic
> field.......................after purchase of new compass, I
> found it !
>
> What type of material is the exhaust pipe leaving the Atomic4
> supposed to be? Because the material that is now on #383 is
> affecting the compass. I guess it was re-done with the wrong
> material.
>
> Thank you,
> Chris Katehis

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |