[Alberg30] Exhaust Pipe

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Sun May 27 07:55:02 PDT 2001

Yes Whitby built these mufflers and installed them on their A-37's too. Our
A-37 Sunstone, KC 65, has a Westerbeke 4-107 and uses such an exhaust
identical to the one that was on our A-30 Wind Rose, KC 544. I would not be
surprised if Whitby also put them on the Whitby 42 and 45s either. It is an
elegant yet simple design, the centre hot exhaust pipe goes nearly to the
top inside and the water and exhaust mix and exit about 70% of the distance
to the top out the side of the muffler water jacket leaving all the down
stream piping fairly cool. They are not welded together but soldered, and if
you ever remover the pipe to change the iron exhaust flange at the Manifold
do be careful not to apply any twisting motion to the internal bronze pipe
which comes off the iron elbow near the manifold flange or you will sheer
the solder on the pipe where it enters the water jacket.

The jacket and pipe are, I believe, bronze and not copper and when I sheered
the solder seal ( on Wind Rose's muffler ) and took it to a machine shop,
the first thing the machinist said was "wow, that is worth a bundle, don't
ever think of replacing it because it is bronze" - he put a torch on it and
resoldered the pipe at the base to the water jacket and it was perfect.

When using a pipe wrench to remove or install, do be careful to pad the
teeth so they do not chew up the bronze pipe (it is fairly soft and will
mark or deform easily). If the exhaust iron elbow has failed it is often
prudent to take it to a shop to get the iron flange off the bronze pipe but
REMEMBER the thing is soldered together and too much heat applied will melt
the solder. SO DO POINT THAT FACT (THAT IT IS SOLDERED) OUT TO THE
MACHINIST.

It is such a pain to get the whole thing back together and then find it is
leaking - been there, done that ; )

On Iron elbows - do remember to use a black iron elbow and not a galvanised
one as toxic fumes are released from the galvanising with the heat of the
engine. The elbow is not cooled in the system and gets quite hot which is
why the water hose runs up to the Muffler jacket. Many elbows are wrapped in
asbestos tape too - yea asbestos, yea that kind of asbestos - so please do
take appropriate precautions handling it.

Hope this is a help.

Fair winds,

John Birch
9 Homewood Avenue