[Alberg30] At4 propulsion and the A30

Scott a30sailor at home.com
Mon Nov 19 13:54:12 PST 2001

	Hey- want to throw this out there and hopefully have a response. I, like
many others are unsatisfied with the at4 performance in the A30. However the
10k investment with a diesel exchange is not feasible for many. I have
recently rebuilt my at4 engine. It purrs, easily serviced and love the
simplicity. My present prop is a 10x6-3 blade. Works great at 2000rpm, no
sea conditions, clean prop and bottom.  =5KTs. any sea and its back to 4Kts.
The 10" wheel really has minimal blade exposure behind the keel. My thought
this haul-out was possibly sliding the engine forward some 3" and installing
the reduction gear. The question to diesel owners is then.... What  wheel
size (prop and pitch) do you have and what shaft RPM do you estimate at
cruising engine RPM.   This is to assume that diesel engines have a 2:1
ratio. My figure would be a at4 engine running at say 2500 rpm at more up
with its 80% efficiency curve, larger blade with more surface for bite. an
engine on motor mounts?   any thoughts   Scott   Thanks

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |