[Alberg30] Re: rudder post

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Nov 27 12:20:55 PST 2001

Older boats did not have a stuffing box, but a bronze tube extending up
from the hull, where it was the upper rudderpost bearing. Mine extended
to the cockpit sole and was encased in fiberglass. Water would
occasionally bubble out into the cockpit while underway. I am not sure
the assembly always remained watertight over the years. Strain on the
rudderpost could fracture the tube below the cockpit. If it were below
the waterline it would leak, even at rest.
    I installed a wheel which required putting the quadrant on the
rudderpost and therefore cutting the tube and installing a stuffing box
under the cockpit. This required hauling the boat to drop the rudder.
Offhand I can't see how else to do it. I understand later boats came
with the stuffing box.
                    Gordon White A-275

 |  http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html  |
 | Great notecards for your Christmas greetings |