[alberg30] Chainplates

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Nov 6 07:37:26 PST 2001

Scott,

I'm not a naval architect, and I can't really comment on the strength
issues involved (Do you need to reinforce the hull at the attachment
points?).  I do wonder how much the tacking angle is going to be
affected by moving the shrouds out a few degrees.

I also think that if you have poorly-fitting bulkheads (as some of
the new boats do) you should still address that problem.  The
bulkheads are a major strengthening and stiffening component of
the boat.  They also support the mast beam.  If you're seeing
movement of any sort, I'd address that problem first, or I think
you'll see bigger problems down the road.  Then, I think that
redesigning the standing rigging will be unnecessary.

In general, I go for "fix" over "redesign" on these boats.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |