[Alberg30] Interior laminated bulkheads?

Henry Sharpe henry_sharpe at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 18:18:23 PST 2001

On an old boat (e.g., #111) the teak formica is very dark.  I've done two
differnt things.  Stripped the formica off, retaped the bulkhead/hull joint,
and faired the bulkhead.  The adhesive for the formica remains sticky when
headede by friction of power sanding making a smooth finish difficult.  The
fonal results were very good and were painted slightly off-white a la
Herrshoff.  The result was wonderful but very time consuming.  The second
approach was to make sure that the formica adhered well to the bulkheads,
ice box, etc.  It was faired to get rid of dings, then sanded hard, rubbed
down thoutoughly with acetone (or other solvent) and painted the same off
white.  Two coats were required in either case.  The paint was Petite Easy
Poxy.  Off-white was definately better than true white.  The fronts of the
settee get dinged by shoes and gear and have touched up easily.  The second
method is infinately easier with totally satisfactory results.

The slightly off-white interior (a la Herrshoff) is wonderful.  It gives the
boat an entirely different feel than the dark teak.   I highly recommend it.

For teak trim, I have followed John Neal's suggestion of using Varathane.
It is available in a variety of finishes.  Use the oil based version. It
adheres well to sanded, but previously oiled teak (although my teak had not
been oiled in the recent past -- certainly not the more than 14 years I've
owned the boat).

Henry Sharpe
Gaviidae (#111)