[Alberg30] Yanmar 3GM

Henry Sharpe henry_sharpe at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 04:08:21 PST 2001

I put a 3 cyclinder Yanmar in #111.  Actually paid to have it done but
watched the process failrly closely.  Done in 1996.

Your questions:

1. --  I had a Grey Marine.  The moter bed was changed, new wood glasses in
and new motor mounts.  It was not "drastic" but the old bed could not be
made to work.

2.  Engine mounts were used.  (Memorable because they were not quite
tightened and the engine lost altitude on the inital cruise.)

3.  I changed the prop shaft and went to a dripless shaft seal and Max
prop -- no class racing in Seattle.  As I remember the shaft is a different
diameter that that of the Grey Marine.  I do not know about an Atomic 4.

4.  It fits and is servicable, but everything is tight.  I kept the old fuel
tank (monel the boat yard thought) and mounted it crosswise under the
cockpit.  It is shallow and a deper tank would be better.

5.  Exhaust works well.