[Alberg30] Towing by bow cleats

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Tue Oct 2 09:28:09 PDT 2001

Sanders ... I think the question might be ... if there is to be a
failure would you rather it be a forward cleat, a main sheet winch or
the intire rig? If your Alberg was new the mast be ok but since many of
these boats are far from new which would be the more prudent choice. I
do believe there have been some instances of dismastings. I recall one
involving the gentleman who made a circle navagation.

Tom S

SandersM at aol.com wrote:

> Okay, I was the poor soul who, alone among all list members, suggested towing
> by the mast.  And I've read all of the replies, and I am more than somewhat
> chastened by them all.  But I must say that I am not yet convinced that I was
> wrong.  I take the point that the mast stands on a step that does not inspire
> confidence that the mast would remain standing when a lateral force (such as
> a tow line under load) is applied.  But think about it:  Every time you sail,
> the mast absorbs huge lateral forces -- that is, the wind in the sail.  And
> what's more, it absorbs them mostly in the bottom quarter of the stick, down
> at the foot of the mainsail.  Wouldn't running in a gale produce lateral
> forces on the mast far in excess of a tow line?  Does anyone fear that
> running under sail in higher winds presents a threat of dismasting?
>
> The mast, as several have noted, is extremely heavy.  It would take a pretty
> massive force to lift it from the step and cause it to fall.  I wonder:  Does
> anyone know of any case in which an A30's mast became unstepped when rigged,
> under any load, for any reason other than a failure of standing rigging?  Has
> anyone ever heard of any mast being pulled from its step by a tow line?
> These are not meant to be rhetorical questions -- I'm just wondering whether
> the fears that have been expressed are grounded in experience.
>
> The common wisdom imparted to me at an early age was to tow by the mast, and
> it was never qualified to apply only to keel-stepped masts.  Now, I'm pretty
> thoroughly confused.  Good thing I traded in my Alberg for a Chris Craft!
>
> Sanders McNew

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |