[Alberg30] Mainsail reefing?

greg vandenberg fashionguy at ameritech.net
Thu Oct 25 15:15:30 PDT 2001

Stormy is kicking up 20 ft waves and 60 mph winds on Michigan... and the gales
of November come early.

I know of what you speak...  to solve this on Bathtub Mary we use the boom
track and raise the boom on its slide and hook the luff reefing ring over its
hook at the goose neck then retention the boom down haul. Our main also has the
slide arrangement mentioned which allows the sail luff to move away from the
lower most luff slides.
Kindest Regards- Greg

Randy Katz wrote:

>     Stormy days are comin'...
>
>     Here's a problem/question--  I had a second set of reef points put in
> the main.  When the sail is lowered for reefing, because the sail track ends
> well about the boom, that luff reefing grommet stops about 1.5 feet above
> the boom.  With the clew tightened down, and the tack tied off above the
> boom there's a long stretch of mainsail tensioned well above the boom.  (Are
> you following this?)  Reef ties can be fastened to the sail bottom, but it
> seems odd.  It seems to work OK, but looks a bit unorthodox.
>
>     Anyone know what I mean?  Are there any dangers with this (i.e. Over
> stressing of the sail?)
>
>     The only solution I can think of is to extend the sail track down the
> mast another foot or so, but it seems like an odd thing to have to do.  Most
> sailboats have longer sail tracks, thus making this a non-issue.
>
>     Any thoughts about this appreciated.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Randy Katz
> Gr. 3
> Bertschi School
> 2227 - 10th Ave E.
> Seattle, WA. 98102
> USA
> 206-324-5476 X301

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |