[Alberg30] RE: Replacing a seacock while afloat

William J. Burke wxyz4 at fastdial.net
Tue Sep 4 19:28:49 PDT 2001

Randy,

In my opinion this is a pretty dicey maneuver.  Murphy's law definitely
applies on boats.  Any job is always more complicated and takes longer than
it should, and if something can go wrong, well, you know the rest...  It'd
sure be a drag to have threads not match, break something off, have the
outside plug come out, etc while you are trying to keep your boat from
sinking, and could potentially be tough to explain to your insurance company
as well.

Seriously, it's a big risk to take, potentially sinking your boat to maybe
keep it from sinking on its own?!  If you decide that it needs to be dealt
with now and really don't want to pay for a haulout (my kind of sailor!)
perhaps you can find a shallow tidal dock or a couple of pilings you can tie
off to at high tide (well fendered, of course).  Let the boat ground as the
tide drops, sitting upright and held by your lines, and you can safely
change out the seacock or even a thruhull.  Best locations offer shelter
from waves and/or wakes and a sand or mud bottom (as opposed to rock).

Either that or rent a trash pump from your nearest tool rental company
before you do the job!

Good luck,
Bill Burke
Wild Elf #297

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |