[Alberg30] Terrorism

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 11:38:27 PDT 2001

My A30 friends,

We usually try to keep politics out of our sailing site, but this national
tragedy has changed all previous bounds.

Hezbolah and Hamas have office space in Damascus. Iranian funds and those
from other terrorist supporting nations are funneled to them through
government channels.

While only Palestinians and Israelis were killed by these state supported
terrorist organizations, the West seemed complacent to allow these structures
to stand.  Two American Embassies in Africa, a US Navy ship, and the (first)
bombing of the World Trade Center were considered anomalies apparently, and
did not warrant disturbing whatever arrangements or agreements, or what ever,
that allowed Western country's national and international policies to
tolerate the existence of known and self-declared terrorist organizations.

Even if it turns out that the people who planned, funded, and executed this
attack on the US are not the exact same terrorists, I would be shocked if
they do not have close ties to those mentioned above, and the investigation
and destruction of these mentioned organizations would have lead to the
people responsible for our tragedy long before they could have hurt us so
effectively.

The Western Press is to blame here as well. While many of you may have heard
of the state support of terrorism in the middle east, how many in depth
interviews with the Syrian government officials involved in supporting
radical palestinian terrorist groups have you heard?  How many times have you
heard Arafat stating his desire for peace when talking to the West, but, how
many times have you heard translations of his speeches to his own people, the
texts of which appear in palestinian newspapers, in which he still calls for
the destruction of Israel, and in the past few months, called for escalation
of the violence of the intifada?  It is baffling to me. This is all well
documented, by the way.

I hope in the wake of these horrible events, this will change.

I feel very strongly about this subject, but as I know this is new to many of
you, I am going to practice some very real restraint.  'For the record', I
want peace and prosperity for everyone; Palestinians, Israelis,  Afghanis;
everyone, including us.

Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255
 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |