[Alberg30] Replacing a seacock while afloat?

greg vandenberg fashionguy at ameritech.net
Tue Sep 4 06:36:18 PDT 2001

Randy... I had then same problem this summer ( replacing a seacock)  All I did
was to push a balsa emergency pug into the opening from the sea side and go to
work.. I had a change in about 15 min.
Kindest Regards, Greg

Randy Katz wrote:

> Greetings, Sailors,
>     I find myself in an awkward position that I hope you can advise me on.
> While installing a new toilet/tank, the old gate valve SW inlet (Yes, I
> know-- it shouldn't be on the boat in the first place!)  seems to have
> broken in the open position.  Not a problem per se, but not a situation I'm
> keen to leave, either.
>
>     I'm considering installing a Forespar Marlon replacement.  The question
> is-- how difficult would this be while the boat is in the water?  I imagine
> trying this with the new valve in the open position, attached to a length of
> hose extending above the water line-- wouldn't that lessen the incoming
> water pressure a bit?
>
>     I don't mind taking on a gallon or two of water in order to avoid a haul
> out.   I figure I can get the teflon tape wrapped on the through-hull in the
> process, thanks to a bung plug.
>
>     An alternative is leaving the gate valve until next March's haulout--
> it's double clamped and seems sturdy enough otherwise.
>
>     ANy of you wise people have experience with this sort of nonsense?  I'd
> love to hear from you.
>
> OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
> Randy Katz
> 910 - 32nd Ave.
> Seattle, WA. 98122
> USA
> 206-323-1941
> KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |