[Alberg30] Replacing a seacock while afloat?

T. Kevin Blanc tkevinblanc at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 11:51:52 PDT 2001

I've removed a gate valve and installed a new fitting
on a head through hull with the boat in the water. The
water does not come shooting through like you might
imagine (it's not like a firehose, more like a big
garden hose - I was expecting to get hit in the face).

I removed the valve with my left hand, stuck a
softwood plug in with my right, teflon-taped the
through hull, then pulled the plug and installed the
through hull. The force of the water was not nearly
enough to interfere with my threading on the new
fitting.

I took on much less water than when I replace the
knotmeter sender wheel with its plug - that flow is
much more forceful. I don't think I'd do it, for
instance, to a cockpit drain because of the difficulty
you might have reaching it.

I also think you might want to have the right size NPT
cap handy in case the valve doesn't want to thread on
for some reason...