[Alberg30] Winter Storage

John Brugeman johnbrugeman at ameritech.net
Tue Sep 4 14:28:58 PDT 2001

We remove our mast and lifelines each winter for storage.  I've fabricated a conduit frame with a ridge pole down the middle forming a tent shaped structure.  The curved side pieces fit into the each stantion base and are curved up to the top ridgepole.  At each end of the ridgepole a curved piece  comes down and is attached to where your stays attach on the deck.  The ridgepole is in three sections and everthing is attached with 'T' brackets and sleeves that screw together.  This forms a very ridged frame which we cover with a two piece heavy duty truck tarp that overlaps in the middle.  The bottom edges of the tarp has eyelets about every two feet which we secure to the cradle with lines. We put screens in the companionway for the winter and also crack and screen the forward hatch. I can assemble and cover the whole thing in about two hours. We have never had a mildew or mold problem and she is bone dry every Spring.  We occasionally have 6" or 10" snowfalls, which I remove.

John Brugeman
"Mermaid"