[Alberg30] Thermostats...Beating a dead horse!

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Thu Sep 6 19:00:02 PDT 2001

greg vandenberg wrote:

> ...How do I get the bypass to close so the thermostat will do its thing...

Here are a few ideas:

I assume that you know that the water pump operates properly, and that
the plumbing is configured coorectly, with a "Tee" fitting at the water
inlet, connected to the water pump intake and (I think) the front of the
thermostat housing.

When you start the engine, you should feel the hot weater circulating in
the hoses connected to the Tee. Little water should come out the exhaust
except for some small deliberate "leakage" until the thermostat opens
opens.

I recall from talking to Don Moyer that there is more than one style of
thermostat housing. One my 1966 engine, I have the old, but maybe less
commmon style of casting. The thermostats I bought from Don were way
cheaper than $73, maybe $35 or so each. So it is possble that you have
the wrong style of thermostat. Is is also possible that you have the
thermostat installed backwards, if it will fit incorrectly in the
housing (I beleive that mine will fit in backwards).

Failing all else, you can call Don Moyer (www.moyermarine.com). He is
very friendly and helpful, and can probably diagnose your problem in
short order.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |