[Alberg30] Engine Removal

FINKENBERG, Lincoln LFINKENBERG at EMMETMARVIN.COM
Mon Sep 10 09:19:09 PDT 2001

	Last month I helped remove an atomic 4 from a friend's Bristol. The
engine was disassembled down to the flywheel/block/head prior to removal
(oil removed also, brining the total weight to under 150lbs).  A block and
tackle system attached to the boom (4:1) pulled it out of the cabin onto the
cockpit floor effortlessly, we then repositioned the block and tackle on the
boom then swung the engine to a cart on the dock.  In hindsight, it would
have been bit more expeditious to lift the full weight of the engine onto
the cabin floor then disassemble it.  To lift the full weight onto the cabin
floor I'd put 4x4s alongside the companionway and then one across to hook
your block and tackle to.

	I believe there are three bolts on the forward flange that connects
the shaft, but this part is a bit foggy as I ended up removing both flanges
before realizing you only needed to remove the three.  It also helps to put
the gear in neutral and spin the shaft to see if you've disengaged it.  When
lifting the engine put a little forward tension on the halyard, there isn't
a male/female connection so you don't need to move the engine forward, just
tension it to keep it from bumping back into the shaft.

	Three years ago a friend and I pulled a fully assembled grey marine
out of Gypsy and it was touch and go.  It felt like 10,000lbs after about 10
minutes of swinging/pushing it out of the companionway. Because of the
height of the companionway on the Alberg we had little leverage on the
remaining foot and a half of halyard to push/swing the engine past the
companionway.  We ended up having to slide it out of the cabin and into the
cockpit using a 2 by 6, it was quite precarious and it hindsight
ill-conceived.

	best of luck,
	Linc Gypsy 138