[Alberg30] thoughts

FITZONELOVE at aol.com FITZONELOVE at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 14:31:49 PDT 2001

I went sailing today, a magnificent September day, in Raritan Bay, totally
peaceful and serene, except for the occasional growl of a fighter plane high
above.  As I looked towards Manhattan, it was surreal to view the skyline of
NY, still smoking, with its two tall silver towers absent, and I could not
help but feel useless because I could do nothing to help the victims, the
wounded, the missing and their families except pray for them.  As I sailed
alone, I also wondered when I would discover that someone I knew was among
them, as so many Staten Islanders work downtown, in or near the Trade Center,
are NYC firemen, EMTs, police, etc.  I came back to my mooring, and tried to
absorb the serenity of the day, before again watching the horror unfold on
TV.  When the launch came to pick me up, the operator asked if I knew anyone
in Fire Rescue 5, on the Island; I said I did; someone I knew since I was a
kid.
"The entire unit is gone."
I knew this was just the beginning of the immense sorrow to come, but we
cannot give in to the hatred and fear which created this tragedy.  If we do,
it will be our undoing, forever.  We need to bring those responsible to
justice, at whatever cost, and remember all those lost to this madness with
love, grieve with their families, and when we are sailing, on calm waters
with our loved ones, know that those who have perished, are looking down upon
us from Heaven, smiling upon our voyages.
Joe  "One Love"