[Alberg30] RE: Alberg30 window replacement

Charles Haggart chaggart at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 17 20:16:00 PDT 2001

Jacques:

I replaced the ports on my Alberg 30 (# 150). I think it was the first thing
I did when I bought her, the ports were milky I could barely see through
them. It is easy I did all 6 ports in one day. The most important thing to
remember is to completely clean off all the old caulking material from the
cabin sides and the retaining rings. If you don't they will leak for sure my
friend. End the cleaning with Acetone. I bought some Lexan ( some people say
Plexiglass Lexan is more scratch prone but very strong) I think I used 6mm
although I could be wrong, maybe someone else in the forum knows the
thickness. Use the old ports as templates and cut new ones. I used my
jigsaw. I then used Sikaflex to bed the ports and screw the retaining rings
back on. Before I did the job I was told that Silicone is the preferred
bedding compound, but I used Sikaflex because I have used the product on all
sorts of things and after 4 years the ports have never leaked. When the job
was done what a difference it made in the look (inside and out)