[Alberg30] RE: Alberg30 window replacement

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Tue Sep 18 02:04:59 PDT 2001

Most sorry to have burdened you all with stuff about "FRAMES" when Jacques
said "WINDOWS". However, when it comes time for the frames, I believe we have
all that knowledge in the archives.
Paul
Ashwagh #23

In a message dated 9/18/01 12:44:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
RABBIT649 at aol.com writes:

> Dear Jacque,
>  This is a huge issue that was the subject of a thread about a year ago
that
>  went on for months and even migrated into another thread about having
frames

>  custom cast for the association (which was never  done).
>  My interest stemmed from the fact that Ashwogh's (#23) needed replacing,
so
>  considered several methods before finally replacing them with frames from
>  another boat, whose owner(a friend of mine) decided to replace his with
>  opening rectangular bronze portholes (which did not fit exactly and
required

>  major glass work to install, but ended up looking beautiful).
>  If I'd had to replace them from scratch, I would have cut them out of 1/4"
> or
>  5/16" aluminum plate with a jig saw or a scroll saw and then, using a
> plywood
>  pattern as a routing template, or with a hand file, cleaned them up and
put
>  small bevel on the inner and outer edge of the side facing outward ( a 3
HP
>  router with a carbide blade will cut aluminum). The good news is that then
>  you can use a single pattern for ALL the frames, which means you can bolt
>  them (all eight) together for scroll cutting, final finishing and
drilling,
>  all operations except the final beveling or the outfacing edges. If you
cast

>  them, you need two (inner and outer both sides which then reverse for to
>  aft). There was a fellow in Annapolis who quoted me a price to do it this
> way
>  (by cutting sheet material), but I have no memory right now of his name or
>  the price. I will certainly post it if I remember.
>  There is no place anyone has ever mentioned as a source for buying them.
>  Regards,
>  Paul Cicchetti
>

>  In a message dated 9/17/01 3:04:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>  dussual at attglobal.net writes:
>
>  > I would appreciate it if any of the Alberg 30 owners have information
>  >  on what is involved in replacing the windows/ports in the my
>  >  Alberg30 #446 Kilwinning (1970).  Thank you
>  >
>  >  Jacques Dusseault
>  >  Jacques Dusseault
>  >  President, Synergem Management Inc.
>  >  2 de Menton, Gatineau, Québec,
>  >  J8T 5M6 CANADA
 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |