[Alberg30] RE: Alberg30 window replacement

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 21:39:48 PDT 2001

Dear Jacque,
This is a huge issue that was the subject of a thread about a year ago that
went on for months and even migrated into another thread about having frames
custom cast for the association (which was never  done).
My interest stemmed from the fact that Ashwogh's (#23) needed replacing, so I
considered several methods before finally replacing them with frames from
another boat, whose owner(a friend of mine) decided to replace his with
opening rectangular bronze portholes (which did not fit exactly and required
major glass work to install, but ended up looking beautiful).
If I'd had to replace them from scratch, I would have cut them out of 1/4" or
5/16" aluminum plate with a jig saw or a scroll saw and then, using a plywood
pattern as a routing template, or with a hand file, cleaned them up and put a
small bevel on the inner and outer edge of the side facing outward ( a 3 HP
router with a carbide blade will cut aluminum). The good news is that then
you can use a single pattern for ALL the frames, which means you can bolt
them (all eight) together for scroll cutting, final finishing and drilling,
all operations except the final beveling or the outfacing edges. If you cast
them, you need two (inner and outer both sides which then reverse for to
aft). There was a fellow in Annapolis who quoted me a price to do it this way
(by cutting sheet material), but I have no memory right now of his name or
the price. I will certainly post it if I remember.
There is no place anyone has ever mentioned as a source for buying them.
Regards,
Paul Cicchetti

In a message dated 9/17/01 3:04:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dussual at attglobal.net writes:

> I would appreciate it if any of the Alberg 30 owners have information
>  on what is involved in replacing the windows/ports in the my
>  Alberg30 #446 Kilwinning (1970).  Thank you
>
>  Jacques Dusseault
>  Jacques Dusseault
>  President, Synergem Management Inc.
>  2 de Menton, Gatineau, Québec,
>  J8T 5M6 CANADA
 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |