[Alberg30] Kicking the Tires

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Mon Apr 8 09:47:54 PDT 2002

Electrical work in an older boat can have a lot of add-ons that can be hazardous. In addition, wiring may systems may have become outdated for the types of electrical demands we have on boats today.  Needing or wanting to update the electrical systems need not be too scary. I am doing that right now and access is easy and the work not complex as long as you know the basics. (I have the advantage of having done it once before.) It is not cheap, however,

>>> sail_505 at hotmail.com 04/05/02 09:31AM >>>
Hi Neil,

If the boat is mid 70s, it has a balsa core deck. So the first thing to
check for is delamination. Mine is a '72 and doesn't have any, but I have
been on others around the same age that has a significant amount. I have
been religious about caulking chainplates, bedding deck hardware and deck
painting to keep water out of the core. So my conclusion is that
delamination is due, in part, to how well the boat has been maintained. The
check for delamination is tap around the deck lightly and listen for changes
in the sound. Also, check the bulheads carefully where the chainplates are
attached, look for water damage, if the chainplates haven't been caulked
there could be serious problems. Major delamination or bulkhead rot are show
stoppers for me because they are expensive and time consuming to repair.
Once you pass these tests, you have everything from wiring to engines to
rigging to general appearances to look for. The Alberg is a great boat, but
if negelected for a long period, it could be a mess. One thing in
particular, is to check the small thru-hull fittings (the head intake, the
galley intake, and the engine intake). Whitby constructed home-made
thru-hull fittings by using a small threaded pipe with a washer on the
outside, and then mashing the pipe over to hold the washer in place. These
should have been changed out years ago. The washers become copper, fall
apart, the pipe lets go and the boat sinks. These need to be changed with
industry standard bronzed thru-hull fittings.

Good Luck, hope you find the boat to be sound, and we look forward to having
you join the association.