[Alberg30] Chris Hardy

chrishardy chrishardy at tds.net
Wed Apr 10 11:41:24 PDT 2002

Teak vs. So. American Mahogany :  For my boat and my wallet I would
choose Mahogany for most all bolted on stuff such as grabrails, do-dads,
hatch covers, grates, tillers, (unless you sail a fat gaff cutter)
interior work and so on.  If I were doing a layed deck on a wooden boat
or high end glass boat I would spend the extra on teak only becaue the
labor to replace it would be so high. So. American Mahogany is more
stable, strong enough, and my opinion nicer looking, also very much
cheaper to buy. If the A-30 were more of a workboat type (like a fat
gaff cutter) then I would substitute White Oak for all of the above
cheaper still and stonger than either teak or Mahogany. As far as decay
resistance They are Teak, Mahogany and White Oak in that order  Also
don't confuse African Mahogany for So. American , Red for White Oak ,
Iroko or Afromosia(african teak) for Teak. Suppliers of
fittings,furniture and retail lumber yards sell african mahogany (1/2
the cost of So. American)  as "mahogany" so beware African is not nearly
as dense or decay resistant. Hope that answered yer question... Chris

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |