[Alberg30] Renewing/replacing engine stringers?

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Fri Apr 19 15:12:44 PDT 2002

 >   The first estimate came in at $3-4000 for doing the entire >thing
>(ouch!).  At that rate I figure I can at least devise  some >way to drag the

>engine out of the way for the FG guys.

It never ceases to amaze me what yards attempt to charge for semiskilled yard
labor

your first step would be to break the shaft coupling to see if you have an alignment
problem. If that's OK -you check with feeler guages BTW-then my grandmother's
rule goes into effect "don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you". I'm
betting it's OK; possibly settling in from the initial installation. Alignment
should be checked every once in a while, anyway (in the water). Then again,
I'm at about 15 years for Checkmate, and counting.
You are looking for differences in space around the perimeter of the shaft to
back of Trans. coupling.It should be within several thousanths of an inch.
Bad alignment affects wear on the Transmission thrust bearing.

Michael
 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |