[Alberg30] careening an A30

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Apr 22 03:52:58 PDT 2002

I dont particularly know about the alberg, though I have a few though no
experience with really hard groundings or careening it ... but I grew up in
a family of New Englanders who occasionally found themselves hard aground
on the beaches of Southern mass. When this would occur, My father had a 32
ft. Friendship Sloop, he would careen the bottom. When the opportunity or
tide presented itself.  There was always a bit of effort to be sure that
the boat came down on a high side and as for tipping it is not really a bow
stern issue. (Most full keel hulls set up perfectly fine) Just make sure of
the bottom you are landing up on and that the boat is situated in such a
way as to land with the mud wise rail high. Other than that some of the
real hard core environmentalists may get after you for polluting the
environment. Maybe using tarps would be a good idea even in the mud.

Good Luck

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458

> Anybody out there ever careened an Alberg 30.  Will an A30 sit upright
> in a careening bay without supports under the bow or stern?  When I was
> in Darwin Australia with 20 ft tides the Darwin sailing club had a
> careening fence you could use and do lots of bottom work between tides.
>  There were boats careened on that fence with fin keels and no fore or
> aft supports!  How would an A30 do?
>
> Hugh Freebairn
> A30 Aliage

> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |