[Alberg30] Alberg 30 center of gravity

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Apr 22 12:54:11 PDT 2002

On #590 I had a twin-axle trailer built, and used an existing
cradle to support the boat.  The welder asked where the center
of balance was.  I said it was probably in line with the
mast.  He moved the axles well back towards the stern and
built the trailer around that.  I can give you a measurement
next week from the rudder shoe to the first and second axles.
I have some extra holes at 6" to move the cradle back, and it
became very clear after towing the boat around that there was
too much weight on the tongue.  It bottomed out one pickup,
and you could see that the front 2/3 of the trailer frame
bowed when at rest on a level concrete floor.  The commercial
jack at the hitch end is rated to 14,000 # and it was very
stiff to crank when leveling the boat.  I moved the cradle
back last year and there is probably still too much weight on
the tongue.  If I had a third axle in front, about in line
with the mast the boat would probably be ok.  You can always
use heavy U-bolts to attach a cradle to the trailer frame, and
that way you could adjust it each year until comfortable.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |