[Alberg30] Thermostat Question

greg greg at vandenbergphoto.com
Wed Apr 24 14:32:43 PDT 2002

Sooo George... what's the deal.  So the water comes out of the pump and goes to
the top of the housing and when cold can't flow down into the block and goes
across the closed thermostat and into the hose to the manifold and out the
exhaust? AND that little piece of impeller in the intake elbow on the starboard
side of the thermostat housing caused the water to go... where? What root did it
have to take? Could I have some other part of the system blocked? Wouldn't it have
to be on the intake side?

Kindest Regards- Greg

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> Yes, that's the one.  (The old style are mounted at the back end of
> the manifold, and recirculate warm water back to the pump.)  That
> intake to starboard is the bypass water flow.  When the engine is
> cold, the thermostat should press against the bottom of the tube
> and block it off, also allowing water to flow up out of the head.
>
>  - George
>
> > greg said:
> >
> > Hi George.   It is the type that has a dome top on the flywheel  end of the
> > motor. It intakes to starboard and exits to port . I have a clear passage in
> > and out of that housing... opps... I did just find a small piece (.125 x .5)
> > of an impeller rattling around in the intake elbow)  but not enough to impede
> > air flow when I blew into it. Could that have caused the water to by pass?
> > Hummmm.
> > Kindest Regards- Greg
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |