[Alberg30] Info about Cockpit Sole Hatches

greg greg at vandenbergphoto.com
Mon Apr 29 11:32:08 PDT 2002

I always seam to be sticking my nose in on this topic... Hug. With the need for
a cockpit grate or other safeguard for the protection of a hatch that does not
belong in that location and manufacturs reps. that advise against... why not
just do it right? Spend another $100. Forget the cost of a grating. We are all
so concerned about one hose clamp or two. Thru hull fitting that may fail at
their task. And yet there are those that in the same breath want to put an
unsafe device in the bottom of their cockpit and head out with their family and
friends.  Go figure.....

Kindest Regards- Greg

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:

> On the access hatch info;
>
> Aluminum is the best, of course, but is pricy.
>
> The plastic hatches are not strong enough to withstand a jump or fall from
> cockpit height, so protecting with a strong cockpit grating or other cover is
> needed.
>
> 10x20 will barely give enough clearance to do to what the access panel is
> meant to do.  Go to a marine store that carries these, and try to pass an
> opened hatch over your head and shoulders, and imagine doing that upside down
> on a rolling boat while trying to get a sleeve over something torn or broken
> and leaking back there.
>
> Ain't this fun???    :)
>
> Lee
> Stargazer #255

 | ** Skymate Windmeter $18.00 off! Product code JDCSM-18 ** |