[Alberg30] Racing:phrf?

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Mon Aug 5 16:56:14 PDT 2002

Hello All:Long time since I've had anything to ask or put in my 2 cents
worth.Couple of weeks ago was invited to go racing on Lake
Pontchartrain with a friend and his friends at U.K sails .I ended up on
an Irwin 28.I couldn't tell the boat owner the rating of the alberg
30.We did not use spinnaker and found that these races are a bit
complex,not knowing the markers ahead of time.The owners wife was at the
helm for both races and she was serious as a heart attack about these
races!!I just laughed it off,but would have liked to have had my boat to
see how it would  fare against these boats.I've never had the
opportunity to go against anything close to 30 feet,with sails !!!!!What
is the phrf rating for an A-30?Is the rating influenced by head sail
size,main sail,etc.I know this was a good topic some months back but
can't for the life of me remember the numbers assigned the 30's.You know
my area is shrimpimg boats as Forrest Gump would say,and down here you
don't pull up ahead of another boat and drop your nets without some kind
of dispute.So when we were three boats abreast and my captain kept
yelling starboard,glad we were in New Orleans and not on the
Bayou!!Ha!Ha!Still don't know if we won or lost!!
#191 High Spirits                     Galliano,La.
Dick

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |